You’ve redesigned your home, put in new furnishings, installed new lights, and now it's time to bring the project to a close with the bow wrapped on top. So, how can you use home accessories effectively? Haphazardly placing candles around your home isn’t going to enhance your style.
We’re here with 10 design tips for you to consider when finding those finishing touches to your home.
How To Use Home Accessories
While there are exceptions to every rule these tips can provide a point of inspiration for you to use as a springboard. Your space is yours to decorate, and the most important thing is that you fall in love with the way you make your space your own.
- Creating Order: Scattered home accessories don’t feel cohesive. If you have a collection of smaller accessories, or they’re placed on a workspace like a dining table, create some order. We recommend choosing a tray to display small sculptures or vases.
- Contrast & Color: Accessories provide a pop of color and contrast to the space around them, so make sure to group and place items for the best cohesiveness. Adding variety means adding visual intrigue.
- Wall Art Synergy: Cohesiveness comes from ensuring accessories and other furnishings complement each other. Look at your wall art from a few paces away, and choose accessories that enhance the overall view.
- Vary Object Height: Variety makes the eyes happy, so group items together that have varying heights. Try not to have two items that are the same height, or split them using books or shelves if need be.
- Asymmetry: Like with varying the heights of your clustered home accessories, asymmetry is visually pleasing. Symmetry can be a great tool on a larger design scale, but smaller items benefit from stepping out of the box.
- Odds Win: Keep in mind the rule of thumb that grouping things in odds are better than evens. They’re easier to style, and perfectly match the rule of keeping things asymmetrical.
- Think Functionality: Home accessories aren’t just for decoration. In fact, you might love a piece more if it serves a purpose. Decorative trays and boxes look appealing and have practical use in your home.
- Use Books: Books can be used to add color diversity, new height levels, and entertainment. Books by Assouline, for example, are a marvel of art that continues to inspire as you flip through the pages.
- Don’t Forget Atmosphere: Home accessories aren’t just about looks. Candles, diffusers, and lighting fixtures play a large role in the way you perceive and relax in your home.
- Focus on your Loves: Never buy an item for your home just because it's trendy— focus on the style you love, and let the experts help you find the pieces that bring that style to life. Your home, your way.
ACCESSORIZE By Designer’s Mark
Choosing and staging your home accessories doesn’t have to be a solo job. We love Designer’s Mark in Boca Raton. They are experts in inspiring, sourcing, and creating homes that are unique to your style, and finding custom pieces that take your space to the next level.
Take the hassle out of the design process, and let the ACCESSORIZE team at Designer’s Mark help you reinvent your home and your style.